A properly formatted professional resume will lead to an interview round with the recruiter. While applying for any type of job (private or public), you require a professional resume with all the details mentioned in a positive manner. Basically there are various types of resume such as chronological resume, functional resume, mini resume, targeted resume and combination resume, but among these chronological resume and functional resume are most widely used formats for drafting a professional resume. A chronological resume includes the full history of the candidate; you have to include work history (present and past), academic qualification, career objective, activities, achievements, project details, contact details, personal details and hobbies. On the other hand, functional resume focuses on the professional history of the candidate such as skill set and professional summary including the tenure of the job and the responsibilities that he / she undertook during that period. This type of resume is drafted by job hoppers or housewives or people with a big gap in their professional career.
Let us discuss some of the important tips on how to write a resume for any job position.
- Be short and precise- Whenever you are drafting a resume for any job vacancy, make sure that you do not lengthen your resume unnecessarily; otherwise it creates a bad impression in the eyes of the recruiter. So it is important that your resume should be concise with relevant information. Make sure that your resume should have a professional approach and is eye-catchy too, so that the recruiter is compelled to have a personal round of interview with you.
- Use professional formatting- Professional formatting includes the use of font such as Times New Roman or Arial Black or Calibri, alignment ‘justified’ or ‘left’, font size 12. Remember to keep the same format throughout the resume, as gives a professional approach to resume writing.
- Highlight your credentials- It is important that the candidate highlights his / her credentials in a positive manner. It includes the present and past experience along with the job responsibilities. Also focus on the essential features of the resume such as career objective, educational qualifications, project details, contact details, awards and achievements, and personal details.
- Error-free resume- The resume should be error free i.e. check for the grammatical error, sentence construction and vocabulary before sending the resume to the recruiter. Make sure that that there is no spelling mistake in your resume, as it creates a negative through in the mind of the recruiter. Proofread the resume at least twice before sending it to the recruiter.
- Professional outlook- It is important that the resume should have a professional approach. It should be attractive and appealing, so that the recruiter can be impressed with its first look. Divide the resume into section and sub-sections and also use bullet points to highlight the essential parts of the resume effectively.
- Avoid flowery language- It is recommended to use simple language so that the reader/recruiter can easily understand the resume. Avoid the use of abbreviation but if in case you are using it, and then mention the full form of it, so that the reader can get what exactly it is.
Now let us have a look at the resume template that will provide you a clear idea of how to draft a professional resume for nay job opening.
Full name of the candidate Address of correspondence Telephone number Email address
Mention the objective/aim for drafting the resume and the position for which you are applying the job.
Mention a short summary of your professional experience including present and past experience along with the total tenure of the career.
Skill set and qualities
It comprises of technical skills and non-technical skills. Use bullet points to mention the skills and qualities along with the justification to the above mentioned points. Do not use more than 6 bullet points in this section.
Mention all the experience that you possess i.e. past and present. This section should be mentioned in a reverse chronological order, i.e. most recent comes first, follow by the second and so on. The structure of professional experience is as follows:
- Designation of the candidate 1
- Name of the Organization
- Duration of the work
- Duties and responsibilities that the candidate possess
It includes the academic details along the certification or diploma course that the candidate completed. Mention the project details, as it is very essential for the fresher’s applying for the job.
- Name of the Degree/Course
- Name of the College/Institute
- Name of the University
- Duration of the course
- Year of passing
- Name of the Project
- Name of the Organization
- Duration and the year of project completion
- Total team members
- Short description of the project along with your individual contribution
This section includes the awards and prizes that you received from your pervious and current organization.
Activities include your participation in the cultural events, social welfare event, and organizing other events, which is not the part of your work. These activities strengthen your profile in a positive way.
Reference is an important aspect in getting a call for the interview from any reputed firm/organization. You can add a max of 2 references in your resume. The structure is as follows:
- Name of the referral 1
- Name of the organization
- Designation of the referral
- Telephone number of the referral
- Email id of the referral
Other personal details
You can include date of birth, marital status, hobbies, social security number, etc., in this section.
The above tips on how to write a resume will help you in drafting a professional resume for any job opening. You can follow this and draft a customized resume for any job opening.
Tags: #resume writing